Fashion designing is one of the most lucrative, appealing, glamorous and exciting career options in today’s world. A decade ago, a career in mode technology was limited to wealthy and influential families. However, things are changing and more people join the profession.
Fashion design is the applied art for the design of clothes and accessories for lifestyle. Influenced by cultural and social attitudes, this art has developed over time and place. The design of fashion has gone a long way from designer clothes worn by the royalty of the ancient world to today’s high- couture products.
Job Opportunities in Fashion designing
There are various kinds of jobs for a fashion designer and they can find employment with garment manufacturers, garment export houses, textile manufacturers, fashion show organizers, and trade fair authorities.
Now let us discuss the various stages in the career of a fashion designer
- Assistant Designer: A designer is generally helped by an assistant designer. The job is primarily administrative and technical in nature.
- Cutting Assistant: The job entails cutting samples, altering patterns, and assisting in the designing room. A cutting assistant should have good pattern making ability, draping, and knowledge of garment making.
- Sketching Assistant: Technical sketches of garments are done by sketching assistant. He is an assistant to a designer.
- Stylist: He is on the move to scan stores for current trends in color and fabrics and sketches ideas.
- Junior Designer: A junior designer executes the pattern, generally sews samples and does market research.
- Merchandising and Marketing: This department chalks out the company’s overall direction after studying past and current sales data, analyzing trends, and deciding on future strategies.
- Fashion Coordinator: The fashion coordinator ensures that the clothing is dyed in the right shade and the production schedules are adhered to.
Read also How to become an ACS?
There are various courses in the field of fashion designing. They are as follows-
- Accessory Design
- Apparel Marketing and Merchandising
- Garment Manufacturing Technology
- Leather Garment Design and Technology
- Knitwear Design and Technology
- Textile Design and Development
- Production Technology
Institutions of fashion designing